Monday, November 17, 2008

Bad, bad day

Yesterday was a horrible day at our house. I could go through a list of things that happened, but really the biggest reason for the bad-ness of it all was my bad mood. I could point to lots of things that the boys did that landed me in that bad mood place, but even when I was in the middle of it, I knew that it wasn't really their fault. I'm a grown up, right? I should be able to handle things better than I did yesterday. The fact is though, I didn't shake it. I let my frustrations out in full force yesterday and then the guilt of it put me in an even worse mood.

When I went to bed last night I made a commitment to do better today. I determined that I wasn't going to go off on my boys today. It was going to be a better day, regardless of what naughty things were going on around me. I was going to be a better mom and my boys weren't going to have to listen to me yell today.

I was doing great - until Noah woke up the entire house at 5:30 this morning. Needless to say, the thing that I was so committed to last night was a distant fantasy at that moment. Noah is in the tub right now. I am getting a grip and we are going to start again. It's going to be a better day today, although the good part is getting a delayed start. This is going to be me for the rest of today - for real this time:

3 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

You are AWESOME! I know you're going to laugh at that and focus on the meanie you were yesterday, but it sounds like you've grasped the concept of letting go and starting fresh. Way to go! I'm serious about this. You could have given up on yourself at 5:30 but you chose to begin again. That's what it's all about. Don't let yourself stay in the mode of beating yourself up with guilt, there's no point. You're doing awesome. I'm serious. I'm proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I've had those days when I feel like this guy looks,(but thankfully, not too often). We all do. I think I'd have them more often if I had two busy little boys to take care of 24/7. I think you are doing admirably.

Nathan said...

It probably doesn't help when your neighbor comes over to add fuel to the fire.

Maybe I should have a goal like this too ...