Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sunbeam failure

Noah has been in the Sunbeam class at church (3-yr-olds) for two weeks now. He has been removed from the Sunbeam class at church approximately 6 times. I'm no mathematician, but I think that works out to three times per Sunday. At this rate, he's not going to make it to the 4-year-old class next year. I'm not sure where they send Sunbeam drop-outs, but unless we figure something out, Noah is headed there on the fast train.

I work in the primary so I'm in there with him every week and I get a front row seat to his shenanigans. Generally we can count on one or two of the Sunbeams struggling with the transition into primary, but mostly because they are scared and they want to be with their moms. Noah's issues have nothing to do with fear or needing to be with me. He's just "active", especially when he has an audience. He's a master attention-grabber, and he has lots of other kids in there who are more than willing to encourage him with their laughter. I can't tell you how many times I've heard (from kids and adults), "Ooooooo he's so cute! How could you ever get mad at him??!? Believe me, it's becoming quite easy for me to get mad at him. (By the way, no matter what I write on this blog, until I confess it - and I will - rest assured that I am holding strong to my "stop yelling so much" resolution.)

This past week, after I spent much of our three hour block of church time in the foyer and/or hallway with Noah, I wanted to strangle him. It's not like we are asking him to do something impossible. There are eight other three-year-olds in his class. None of them have spent as much time in the hallway as my child has. In fact, I'm not sure that any of them have spent any time in the hallway. Just when I had decided that I might not let him live to try another Sunday, he came out of his Sunbeam class with this reminder on his head:

I'm considering having him wear the crown every day, from now until he gets married, just because I need to remember who this little guy is. He obviously has some personality traits that he needs to learn to use for good instead of for naughtiness. My job is to help channel his energy in the right direction. If we can just channel him, while learning to contain my frustrations at the same time, I have no doubt that this kid will move mountains.

6 comments:

Ryan and Angela said...

Well, in his defense, he is so cute. I love that picture you added. It really made the story perfect. And by the way, Kathleen was quite similar in sunbeams. But she is great now.

Kelly Hill said...

Hmmm. This sounds pretty normal to me. But that is coming from a mom of Jake - who used to be the hitter/kicker/BITER of nursery, and HJ - who hugged and kissed too much, making everyone nervous. I'm guessing that Noah's need for the center-of-attention spot has to do with his young life of being mixed in with tens of other little ones in an orphanage, where no one child had more than the others. This kid has hit the jackpot! Just one older brother to contend with, heck! I can't say that I blame him for hamming it up. I've been known to do that myself when I think other people are enjoying me.

You might want to laminate the crown. ; )

And holy crap! WAY TO GO on the less yelling thing. It's so hard, but you're doing it. I'm proud of you. Okay, enough mush....

Lydia said...

Just keep at it, you might be surprised at what a little pratice might do.

Scott said...

Aren't they just little bundles of energy? Once again, Jordan and Noah are so similar it's funny (or not, depending on your mood at the time). Luckily for us, Jordan is finally making it through Sacrament Meeting without being taken out (big improvement after he had to be taken out all the time for the last year), but from what Michelle tells me, he's a wiggle-monster in Sunbeams. :)

Carrie said...

At least you can get Noah to go. We're still working on Micah.

mj said...

oh, how i feel for you. that's how i feel about leah in sacrament meeting. all the other moms say that had such a rough day and their child maybe jumped off the seat or something. leah terrorizes us. pulls our hair, hits us, screams. i think if i weren't sitting in a room full of worshippers, i WOULD strangle her. we will pray for you. :) a sunbeam drop out. i think they send those ones to priesthood meetings with their fathers. yes?