Friday, July 27, 2007

Not such a happy time.


In the midst of the stress and excitement of trying to bring Noah home, we are experiencing some real sadness in our family right now. Our beloved dog, Proxy, is very sick and I'm not sure how much longer he's going to be with us. Prox joined our family in January, 2001, about 6 months before Adam came. Phil named him Proxy as kind of a joke because we didn't have any kids at the time and we thought Proxy would be great as a substitute child for us. He's been a wonderful friend and we love him very much. I spent much of the last couple of evenings crying as I held him. I really don't want to say good-bye. He's only 7 years old, but he has Cushing's disease. The vet thinks that the tumor he has on his pituitary gland is growing, and although we are trying to treat him as best we can, he doesn't seem to be getting better. We've done so many tests and he's on some very powerful and expensive medication, but he's getting weaker and weaker. It's breaking our hearts watching him go down hill so quickly. Each evening we take turns just holding him in our laps and thinking that it might be the last time he goes to sleep. Each morning though, he seems to find some extra energy and he's up and going once again. He can't really walk up and down the stairs anymore so I was up at 4:30 this morning to take him outside for a potty break. I keep praying that he will take a turn for the better, but so far that hasn't happened. The vet has promised me that she will tell me if we get to the point that he is really suffering. I don't know how I could ever take him in and not bring him back home. It's amazing to me how much a person can love a dog. Look at that face though . . . how could you not love him?

0 comments: