Wednesday, July 25, 2007

One step forward . . .

It looks like something might actually be moving in Haiti. We were notified last week that Noah's file was just about to be released from MOI, which means he is very close to getting his passport, which means that he is much closer to coming home. It's been over a year since we found him, and more than 18 months since we started working on this process. For the first time I actually feel like we might be close to bringing him home. We are obviously very excited, but I'm honestly feeling a little overwhelmed right now. Since I really have nothing to compare this to, I'm not sure if what I am feeling is normal or not, but a part of me is kind of wishing that I had more time. Our world is just about to permanently change, and it's a little scary.


I just booked a flight for myself to go to Haiti on August 11th to file some immigration paperwork that will allow Noah to get a US visa. After that is done, we will be able to book Phil's flight to go down and pick him up. The people at the orphanage are suddenly telling us that he should be able to come home within the next month or so. Holy Cow! You would think that after waiting as long as we have been waiting that we would be totally ready for this, but I'm not even close to being ready. We told Adam a year ago that he could pick which bedroom he wanted and we would give the other room to Noah. For whatever reason, Adam decided that he wants to move to the other empty bedroom and Noah can have his old room. I have had big plans to paint and redecorate both rooms, yet they both look the same today as they did last summer. I guess it's time to get moving on all that.

I'm not sure what's going to happen as far as work goes, since it appears that the timing for his arrival is going to be just about as inconvenient as possible. With Phil and I both working at BYU we are gearing up for a new school year and it's going to be hard for one or both of us to be off during September. Don't get me wrong though - we are thrilled that the wait is just about over. Logistically we are going to have to navigate a few bumps, but I have no doubt that we'll manage it just fine. We decided that Phil will be the one traveling to pick him up since it will be easier for his co-workers to cover for him than it would be for anybody to cover for me since I'm pretty much the only one here who does my job. When they get back, Phil and I will have to do some pretty fancy footwork to make sure everything at home and at work is covered. I just can't leave my job at the busiest time of the entire year. Once we are through the fall rush at about mid-October, things will slow down at work and I will be able to take a few months off to figure out our next step. At this point I'm thinking I will be a stay-at-home mom before too long. I've been saying that for 6 years now though, so who knows what will happen there.

Here is the July update photo of Noah. He looks very sad, and I think I can even see a little tear on his cheek. I want to give him a great big squeeze and tell him that this wait is just about over.


0 comments: