Friday, August 10, 2007

It's a very small world

So, last year when we were trying to decide which child belonged to us I was feeling particularly anxiety ridden. It's not everyday that you go online and pick your kid out of a photo line-up. It's not a natural thing and I was feeling a lot of pressure. Seriously, this is one of the biggest decisions we have ever made, and I knew how much it would effect all of us forever. After Phil helped me to understand that any of the kids that we were considering would be a great member of our family, and we would be a good family for them as well, I felt a little better but it was still a very odd position to be in. Anyway, one of the kids that we looked at back then before we asked to match with Noah was a four-year-old little boy named Lucio. He was a beautiful little boy and I was very drawn to him. We ultimately decided that Noah was ours and moved forward with that and haven't looked back. However, I still see Lucio's picture on the website and although I knew he had been matched with another family I've often wondered where he is headed and who his family is going to be. I have recently been emailing with a woman named Melissa who I discovered on a Haitian adoption forum on Yahoo. One of the first questions that we all ask each other on the forum is who and where our kids are. Melissa and her husband are adopting Lucio along with a little girl from our orphanage! It was so fun to find that out, but imagine my shock when she told me that she lives in Pleasant Grove, Utah! PG is only about ten minutes north on the freeway from Provo. In the entire world, it's amazing to me that little Lucio is going to be living just up the road from us. Melissa has a little boy who is just a month older than Adam. She told me that when they were looking at the photos and trying to make a match decision, her son was fascinated with Noah. Even though it's been about a year and a half since we both matched with our kids, her son still talks about Noah. Wouldn't that be great if we all ended up being friends? Finding a Haitian connection for this little guy has always been one of my biggest concerns and it seems that I may have just stumbled upon something that might help all of us, even if just a little bit.

I leave for Haiti tomorrow night. Wow. I can't believe that I am less than 48 hours away from meeting my son. The next time I post I should have all kinds of things to write about, and perhaps a picture or two (or a hundred) to share.

0 comments: