Monday, October 08, 2007

Good Merciful Heavens!

That's Phil's favorite phrase that comes out of him when he's frustrated - generally because of something completely stupid. If that phrase ever fit a situation for me, I think this is it.

When I left work on Friday I was thinking that the package was probably delivered but they hadn't updated the status on the DHL website quite yet. When I got back to my office this morning the first thing I did was go to the DHL website to make sure the documents had been delivered. Instead, this is what I found:

Oct 5, 8:48 a.m.: With Delivery Courier
Oct 5, 11:18 a.m.: Address Information Needed; Contact DHL customer service

Oct 6, 8:58 a.m.: With Delivery Courier
Oct 6, 10:53 a.m.: Address Information Needed; Contact DHL customer service

Oct 8, 9:03 a.m.: With Delivery Courier

What the heck? After seeing all of that I finally clued in that when it says "Contact DHL Customer Service" that they might be talking to me. I emailed Kathi and told her the address that I used (the address that I double and triple checked before I shipped the package), and apparently I left off an important piece of information that tells them what area of town it needs to go to. That's another piece of information that I've learned about Haiti the hard way - when sending something to Haiti, a mere street address isn't good enough. And another thing that I'm reminded of about myself - double and triple checking just isn't enough when it comes to me and details. Aaarrggghhhhh!! I'm just as frustrated with myself over this one as anything. Fortunately when I told Phil what I had done, he resisted lobbing his own "Good merciful heavens!" in my direction. What a guy!

So I called DHL Customer Service and found out that my package is getting sent out for delivery everyday, but since nothing on the address ever changes, it comes back at the end of the day because they can't find the place. I think it's funny (funny aggravating, not funny ha-ha) that it got from Utah to Haiti in a day, but it's been bouncing around Port au Prince since last Wednesday and they keep trying to deliver it with no new information. Now that there is a new address in the system, they think it will come back today, get a new address put on it, and then hopefully be delivered tomorrow.

Kathi is still confident that we will get the visa as soon as these documents finally get delivered. I really, really, really want Noah home for Halloween. We have parties to go to and trick-or-treating to do and for some odd reason it's a big deal to me that he is here for it. I've been telling Adam for a year that he would have a brother for trick-or-treating this year and I need that to be the truth.

0 comments: