Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Maybe slumber parties should be left to 12 year olds after all

So we left last Thursday ready for a great time at the condo, and we weren't disappointed. It was a lot of fun, but I am certainly paying the price now. I realized last year when we did this, and was reminded again this year, that just because you are a Mormon and don't drink, doesn't mean you won't feel the effects of a hangover. Instead of an alcohol induced stupor, mine was caused by wayyyyy too much junk food and wayyyyyyy too little sleep. I came home completely exhausted on Friday, and by Saturday the cough that has been nagging me for the past eight weeks had taken an even tighter hold on my body. I coughed and coughed all day Saturday and went to bed that night with an aching back. By Sunday morning it was plainly obvious that I had pulled some kind of muscle and now every time I cough, my lower back reminds me that I'm not as young as I used to be. Phil made a doctor's appointment for me first thing Monday morning and by 12:00 my doctor was telling me that he was convinced that I had pneumonia. Nice. He loaded me up with some prescriptions and here I sit in my house desperate to find a comfortable position that will accommodate the back pain and the coughing. All night curled up in an awkward position in a chair with a heating pad behind my back and a steroid inhaler in my hand for the coughing fits didn't result in much sleep. Needless to say, I'm wondering what I was thinking on Thursday night. What were any of us thinking? I'm not a teenager anymore and you would think that at least one of the 15 other women that were with me could have reminded me of that fact at 2:00 a.m. when I was polishing off a bag of peanut M&M's and a glass of chocolate milk. Once I get caught up on my sleep and my body recovers from this illness, I've got to get back on the healthy eating wagon. That's my plan. And while I'm at it, I'll be looking forward to our next slumber party!

0 comments: