Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Art of Censorship

We got together this past week-end with some old friends. Brenda and Breanne, two of my college roommates (who happen to be sisters) and their brother, Bryan (who is also a great friend from a long time ago) invited us to a family dinner on Saturday. They have 14 kids between the three of them. When we got there, Adam and Noah were a little wide-eyed at all the commotion. Noah quickly got over it and jumped into the middle of things. Adam was hanging back a little bit so Bryan's wife, Robyn, put her arm around him and asked if he would like her to introduce him to all of the kids. His response was typical Adam: "Nah. I'm not going to remember them anyway."

That was a little funny to me, but the really funny part is that Phil about fell over laughing. In fact, Phil was still laughing about it yesterday when he thought about it again. In spite of the lack of a biological connection, we have always thought that Adam is just like his dad in so many ways. I realized that Phil was laughing so hard because Adam had just put into words what Phil was undoubtedly thinking. I'm grateful that Phil has learned to censor himself in social situations, but I'm wondering if Adam is ever going to learn that art.

4 comments:

Nathan said...

That cracks me up. I have a feeling it wasn't just what Phil thinks in those situations. I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of us who feel the same way.

A THORN AMONG ROSES said...

If only we could speak our minds and say exactly what we were thinking...

But, I agree, censorship allows our fragile self esteems to remain somewhat in tact.

By the way, hi sis. Hug my nephews for me.

Anonymous said...

Since when has Phil learned to censor what he says in social situations?

Julie said...

Good point, Allison. I guess those of you who are lucky enough to be standing close enough to Phil to hear him mumble under his breath may think that he doesn't censor himself at all.