Friday, April 10, 2009

One-liners from Noah

In the car, on the way to meet some friends for dinner earlier tonight:

Phil: It's Noah's birthday on Sunday!
Me: Yeaaaaaa!
Adam: No it's not. It's Easter on Sunday. Dad's just kidding, right mom?
Me: Nope. It's Noah's birthday AND it's Easter. Cool, huh?
Phil: Noah's going to be four! Woooo-hooooooooo!!
Noah: Yeah. Sure. Whatever.

Then after we got home as I was putting him in his pajamas:

Noah: Am I going to bed? (which is the question that he asks EVERY night at pajama time)
Me: Yep. (which is the answer her gets EVERY night at pajama time)
Noah: (whining) Noooooooooooo . . . I don't wanna go to bed. I'm going to stay up for two more hours.
Me: You never want to go to bed, but you're only three so you don't get to decide.
Noah: No! I told you three times and I'm NOT going to bed.

Once again, I'm forced to ask myself "Is he new here????" I'm amazed that after all this time he still hasn't figured out that talking to me like that never results in a happy ending for him.

And a one-liner from Adam

Also in the car on the way to dinner tonight - completely out of the blue:

Adam: Why did some people not like brown people back then?
Phil: What do you mean?
Adam: A long time ago . . . why did they not like brown people?
Me: Some people thought that people with brown skin weren't very smart or that they weren't very nice so they thought it was okay to be mean to them.
Adam: silent consideration
Phil: Who was talking to you about that?
Adam: At school. My teacher said that sometimes they made people with brown skin sit at the back of the bus and stuff like that.
Phil: That's true. It used to be like that.
Me: Some people still think that brown people aren't as good as white people. But we know that's not how it works, right? Sometimes people with white skin are mean and sometimes people with brown skin are mean, but it's not what color they are that makes them that way.
Adam: Yeah. That's dumb.

Yeah, Adam. That's really dumb. I couldn't have said it better myself.

0 comments: